Saturday, June 23, 2007

Flowers are in full bloom


I started making canes. Yeh, since I have learned so much by helping CAT in her class, I thought I should at least try to make something. Just petals, not the whole flower, so that I can build each flower individually and I can have a 3D flower instead of a flat one. Most canes were made with translucent Polymer clay on the outside but I covered mine with black clay and burnished it into black colored beads. Look Ma, no halo. I do like the one that I did not burnish the petal down into the background. Pretty cool textured beads. I also start using the Rhinestones that I got from my friend Scott.
FUN FACT & TIPS: Thai people are very superstitious. There are things that are considered to be bad luck, such as; we do not sleep with our head pointed to the west. It is the position for the death people. You only wear Black when there is Death in the family. In the old day, when you first visit the newborn baby, you cannot say that the baby is so cute, you have to say how ugly it is to prevent the ghost from stealing it away from the mom. You also do not name the baby before it is born. I'm not sure the new generation still believes in all those things any more. I thought it might be interesting to know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous beads, really lovely canes. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ponsawan,
I love your new beads! I, too, started using my stones from Scott. You can see what I did at
www.flickr.com/photos/pcbysusan.
Aren't we lucky to have such a generous friend?
Susan

Anonymous said...

OOOO Pretty Beads.....

As for your fun facts... I ccannot imagine telling a mother her baby is ugly...LOL... Even if it is less then cute.

Silastones said...

Susan, thanks for sharing. I am going for the look of the beads than trying to make a perfect canes. Scott is great. :)

Silastones said...

KC, you have to make it sound like a compliment, ugly in a pretty way. LOL;0 It was an old custom, we don't have to do that anymore.