Thursday, January 28, 2010

Synergy and Collaboration

As much as I want to attend Synergy II in Baltimore next month, the chance is pretty slim. The ultimate goal is to witness Ford & Forlano new works, of which I can rest in peace after that. LOL, I can't yet but the idea of "Collaboration" between two artists and to collaborate different materials into clay work is not new. In fact, I am practicing it everyday.
First, let me introduce my collaborate partner, Mr. Scott Mizevitz. He is a very talented artist and a very dear friend of mine. We share ideas, lots of ideas of how to work with clay and use it to the limit. Scott's works are so details and he crafts every millimeter of it with his skillful hand and high quality craftsmanship. He takes time looking at every details and it shows. Me, on the other hand, sloppy, get it done fast so I can move on to next project.
Scott is also an antique collectible. He has a house full of art and craft materials which he, occasionally, send some to me. He had taught me to appreciate things that are handmade. A desert plates that was hand-painted by someone years ago. I learn to slow down and take more time with my work and to appreciated my artistic skill. Those goodies that he sent, especially the antique Rhinestones, make me slow down and rethink my works and how to collaborate different materials into polymer clay.
Here are samples of my new works; a series of pin made from different kind of materials, held together with Polymer Clay.
This pin consists of shells and coral pieces I collected while in Phuket Island.
Other pins are made with shells from Florida seashore, stones and some of my beads, rocks and pearls.
Those tiny rhinestones sure add some bling to the pieces.
Every night, I sat down at my work table, arranging and playing with different materials, then I put them together. Each pin has its own story; what it is, where it came from, or what it looks like. I am in the zone, I am in my world and I am in control. Be able to keep my sanity and get those "things" out of my head, everyday, is a good thing.

4 comments:

Pearl and Pebble said...

I love what you are doing here! These are just wonderful:)

feelingfimo said...

Ahhh, they are gorgious! Very creative!

La Bohemien said...

Wonderful work *____*

Scott said...

Thank you for all the kind words my friend!
I enjoy the time we get to share, the experiments and web searches, ebay wish lists and trading photos of new creations.
I think we have a list of "things to do" that is a mile long.

You have a gift of vision and an understanding of the materials you use that can only come from a love of what you do.

Maybe some of your ambition will rub off on me one of these days.
I love everything you are creating and these new pieces are unique and imaginative.
I love the foo dog (dragon) piece, it's wonderful!
;)